Coordinator, Development and Events
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression and celebrate the power of writing, seeks a highly organized, skilled, and energetic development and events coordinator. This role is core to PEN America’s development team, and to the fundraising including special events, cultivation of individual donors, and partnerships with foundations that sustains the organization and fuels its growth. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and highly organized with high attention to detail, strong writing skills, and experience in Raiser’s Edge. This is a full-time position based in New York and reports to the chief development officer.
The development and events coordinator’s primary duties include development database management, donor research, creating reports, and processing acknowledgement letters. Additional duties include assisting with fundraising events, reconciling donations with the finance department, overseeing state charity registration, and training and managing interns. Professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion are fundamental to this role.
The development and events coordinator will have the opportunity to make a critical difference in an organization that is quickly expanding, and that engages with leading literary figures and important national and international issues. The successful candidate will have exposure to every aspect of nonprofit fundraising, with significant opportunities to develop a portfolio of skills in development and to gain increased responsibilities and advancement over time.
- Manage Raiser’s Edge database and record keeping to carefully track, acknowledge, and report gifts (including data entry and analysis)
- Create donor and prospect research
- Create donor correspondence for chief development officer related to invitations, meeting requests, and solicitations
- Assist with all appeals including maintaining lists, creating materials, and processing mailings
- Create donor presentations, research briefings, and materials for donors
- Assist with all special events including correspondence, communications, and follow-up
- Coordinate meetings for development team internally and externally
- Assist with recruitment, training, and managing interns
- Support other development functions of a fast-growing team as needs emerge
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1–2 years of development and fundraising experience in a nonprofit organization
- Raiser’s Edge training strongly preferred
- Experience in donor and prospect research
- Passion for the mission of PEN America
- Ability to handle relationships with stakeholders with tact and maturity
- Ambitious work ethic and ability to work both autonomously and as part of departmental or cross-departmental team
- Strong ability to communicate in writing in a range of forms and contexts
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, with zealous attention to detail
- Exemplary capacity to maintain confidentiality and discretion
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “Development and Events Coordinator” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Development and Events Coordinator – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.