Summer 2020 Accounting Internship
PEN America seeks a diligent, detail-oriented, and highly energetic Intern to support the work of the Finance Department. Working closely with the members of the Finance Team at PEN America, the Accounting Intern will gain exposure to a holistic view of the day-to-day operations and finances of a nonprofit, and exposure to the world of advocacy and human rights as well as a community of writers and allies working to celebrate and defend the written word. Interns will learn how to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, how to multi-task and prioritize assignments, develop organizational skills and problem solving strategies, and hone in on their attention to detail.
- Assist with budgeting, reporting, and other support for financial analysis
- Process revenue, including preparing daily deposits and processing in-house charges
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and/or bank statements to ensure proper accountability
- Assist in creating expense reports for processing
- Handle and post of accounts payable and receivable and other bookkeeping tasks
- Answering phone calls and welcoming guests as needed
- Other tasks, as needed, related to PEN America’s Finance department needs including but not limited to filing materials and sorting documents
- Strict attention to detail and discretion
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated capability to work independently and efficiently, to prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines
- Strong desire to learn new skills and the ability to pitch in when needed
- Excellent written communication and the ability to conduct research when needed
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, G-Suite, and the Windows operating system preferred
- Experience with FundEZ accounting software highly desirable
- Majoring in or have experience in Accounting strongly preferred
- Interest in literature, human rights, advocacy and/or nonprofit operations is a plus.
This is an unpaid position. Interns who work more than 15 hours per week are eligible for a local travel stipend. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
To apply: Please email a cover letter (one page maximum) and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “PEN America Accounting Internship.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
About PEN America: PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible. PEN America is the largest of more than 100 centers of PEN International. For more than 90 years, we have been working together with our colleagues in the international PEN community to ensure that people everywhere have the freedom to create literature, to convey information and ideas, to express their views, and to make it possible for everyone to access the views, ideas, and literatures of others. Our strength is our membership—a nationwide community of novelists, journalists, editors, poets, essayists, playwrights, publishers, translators, agents, and other professionals, and an even larger network of devoted readers and supporters who join with them to carry out PEN America’s mission.